Maritime Electric Company Ltd.
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
CA PANB MC217
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Maritime Electric Company
2.1 m of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Maritime Electric Company was incorporated in 1917 and supplied electrical energy to clients in Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick. Offices were situated in Charlottetown, Fredericton and St. Andrews with the main office in St. Stephen, N.B. The company was one of several competing electrical and power companies in the province. In 1920 the government appointed a commission to manage the new industry. The New Brunswick Electric Power Commission was responsible for producing power itself, as well as contracting with other producers. The Maritime Electric Company was contracted to supply power at the Devon sub-station on Hughes Lane in Fredericton. The Maritime Electric Company was still in operation in the mid-1940s when the government began to centralize electrical production under the New Brunswick Power Commission.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of accounting records of the Maritime Electric Company Ltd, both for power supplied to customers and for goods and services purchased by the company. There are statements of balances, sales and commissions, as well as work requisitions and payroll records, meter records and collection reports, and daily cash reports.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick by Maritime Electrical Company, Fredericton, N.B. on 3 April 1969.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.