Mapleton Pastoral Charge
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Mapleton Pastoral Charge
8.5 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.
The Mapleton Methodist congregation came into being in 1816 when George Harrison, a layman, began holding regular services in the community. The congregation met in a school house until a new church was erected in 1855-1856. The church was built by Thomas Johnson and dedicated on 15 February 1857.
Mapleton is located in Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. The town was originally known as Maccan Mountain but the name was changed to Mapleton in 1789. Mapleton was part of the Southampton Methodist Circuit and after the union which created The United Church of Canada in 1925, it became part of the Southampton Pastoral Charge. From 1976-2000, Southampton and Mapleton were known as Pioneer Pastoral Charge. In 2002, the churches separated to form individual pastoral charges. Mapleton Pastoral Charge has one preaching point: Mapleton United Church.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of minutes, financial records, reports, and unpublished histories of Mapleton Pastoral Charge. Fonds is composed of following series:
Records of Committees
Records of Women’s Organizations
Immediate source of acquisition
Women's organization records were received from Mrs. George Gilroy, Southampton, in January 1994, and in 2004 (accession 04-056).
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
See Southampton Pastoral Charge fonds and Pioneer Pastoral Charge fonds. See also deeds in Drew Collection of Chignecto Presbytery fonds (P-100).
Further accruals are expected.