General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
CA MNBM ID26
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Magee family
35 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
William (1822-1894) and John (1824-1885) Magee emigrated, with their parents, from Enniskillen, Ireland, to Saint John, New Brunswick, in the early 1830s. In 1836, William apprenticed with W.G. Lawton, dry goods merchant. Some time later William opened a dry goods business and millinery store with his sister. They were soon joined by their brother John, who had also worked with Lawton.
In 1858, William and John entered into a formal partnership agreement to carry on business as Magee Bros.; in Saint John as wholesale and retail dry goods merchants and importers; and in Granville, Nova Scotia, as mill owners and manufacturers. Magee Bros. were also involved in cattle breeding and farming. The firm gave up the dry good business in 1877, and turned its interests to coal and shipping. On John's death in 1885, his share in the company was transferred to William.
John Magee married Maria Julia Merritt (1827-1898) in 1854. They had three sons: William Clarence Magee (1856-1923), John Buchanan Magee (1857-1939), and Arthur Merritt Magee, who were clerks at Magee Bros. & Co. By 1882, William C. and John B. formed William C. Magee and Co., shipbrokers. After their father's death, William C. and John B. were again employed with Magee Bros., and William C. Magee and Co. no longer appeared in city directories until 1916. After 1904, William C. was listed with Magee Bros. and John appears as an insurance agent and later as an employee of Manchester, Robertson and Allison.
John B. Magee and his wife Minnie had a son, Arthur, who was killed April 1915 in France. They also had a daughter, Edith Marion Magee (1888-1980).
A bound volume containing the arrivals of square rigged vessels at port of Saint John, New Brunswick, Sept. 1876-April 1901 included in this fonds was kept originally by Like Stewart (d.1884), shipbroker. It is not known how it came to be part of the fonds.
Scope and content
This fonds includes financial records of Magee Brothers as well as personal papers assembled by the family. There are Magee Bros. account books for dry goods, wharfage accounts, rents, storage, ships, 1875-1910, and ships' accounts for the ships "Arianna," "Buteshire," "City Camp," "Etta," "Stewart," "Governor Wilmot," "Hypatia," "New City," "St. Andrews," "St. George," "St. Patrick," "Sea Crest," "Z. Ring;" and share certificates owned by Magee Bros. and family. There are also family legal and land records, pedigree certificates and other agricultural material and records on family estates and wills. They include a will and indenture of Maria Julia (Merritt) Magee, 1896; records of the estate of John Buchanan Magee, 1940; and a notebook containing rent records, 1913-1918, 1923.
The family correspondence includes that of William Clarence Magee, 1866-1874; Frederick P. Magee regarding Saint John Hockey League, 1896-1899; Arthur Merrittt Magee during First World War; and certificates, ephemera and correspondence of Edith Marion Magee, 1907-1969. There are also typed copies of correspondence and other material of Norris family. Some accounts, of the St. John Fusiliers, 1901, are also included.
Immediate source of acquisition
Acquired from Edith Magee, 1950-1962.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Detailed inventory available
Graphics information note: Photographs have been transferred to the Humanities Division of the Museum: Saint John Lacrosse Team, 1889 (tintype); Houses of John and William Magee, Mecklenburg St., pre 1877; Arthur Merritt Magee, 1914