Loyalist District (No.2) Women's Institute
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA PANB MC320
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Women's Institute. Loyalist District (No.2) Women's Institute
15 cm textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
In York County, New Brunswick, an organizational meeting for the proposed District Convention was held on October 26, 1927, at the central room of the Parliament Buildings. Six county branches were represented, i.e. Devon, Fredericton, Barker's Point, New Maryland, Lower Kingsclear and Durham. The officers elected in that first meeting were Mrs. Frank Shortill, President and Mrs. H.W. Estabrooks, Secretary.
In 1935, this District was comprised of 18 branches: Barker's Point, Burton, Devon, Fredericton, New Maryland, Lakeville Corner, Millville, Currieburg, Burtt's Corner, Lower Kingsclear, Stanley, Williamsburg, Maugerville, Otis, Keswick Ridge, Sheffield, Nashwaak Bridge and Lincoln.
In 1951 the Loyalist District Women's Institute was divided into Districts No.1 and No.2. Institutes on Fredericton side of the St. John River in York County, and five Institutes below the bridge over the Nashwaak River, make up Loyalist District No.1. Loyalist District No.2 consists of the remainder on the Devon side of the St. John River and four branches in Northumberland County.
Sources: Marianne Grey Otty. : "Fifty Years of Women's Institute in New Brunswick" (1961)
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of the Loyalist District (no.2) Women's Institute Record Books, which contain Minutes, 1927-1966, financial records, membership records and agendas for annual conventions, 1951, 1952, 1954, 1960, 1988.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick by Mrs. Velma Kelly, Stanley, New Brunswick on July 13, 1992.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
The Provincial Archives of New Brunswick holds the records of a number of provincial branches of the Women's Institute.