Long Eddy fog alarm fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
CA GMA MG92
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Long Eddy fog alarm
80 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
During part of the period covered by this fonds, the navigational warning device at Long Eddy Point on Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, was a fog steam whistle without a light. Known locally as the "Whistle," it was built in 1874 and manned by successive members of the Tatton family. James Tatton ([1808 or 09]-1891) was born in St. George, Charlotte County, New Brunswick. He married Eliza Drugan, who was born in Ireland between 1809 and 1814 and died in 1905. Tatton was keeper from 1874 to September 1886 when his son, George Tatton took over.
George Thomas Tatton (1850-1923) was married to Elizabeth Griffin ([1851 or 52]-1933) and served as keeper until April 1922. George was awarded the Imperial Service Medal posthumously by George V in recognition of the long service. George's son, Chester Tatton (1878-1951), was keeper from 1922 until 1946. He married Rose E. Lambert (1978-1963) of Deer Island.
There have been two dedicated fog alarm buildings and one combination lighthouse and fog alarm building. The first alarm building, constructed at the top of the cliff in 1874, was replaced in 1905 by a structure built at the base of the cliff. The combination lighthouse and fog alarm building was added at the top of the cliff in 1966. This light was altered in 1971 and 1973. In 2002, the lighthouse is at the top of the cliff, and both fog horn and light are automated .
These records remained with the keepers' families until they were donated to the Archives.
Scope and content
This fonds contains the monthly reports of keepers at Long Eddy fog alarm from 1874-1946. It includes records of the weather, the stores and supplies ordered, the repairs made, and the hours the fog alarm was operating.
Immediate source of acquisition
Murray Tatton, son of Chester Tatton, donated the records to the Archives in 1986.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Available upon request.
Records of other lighthouses in the Grand Manan area are also available in the Archives. Se MG9 Grand Manan Genealogies Tatton.
Further accruals expected.
Formerly held as MG12 Lighthouses / Fog Alarms MS1 Long Eddy Fog Alarm.