List of MCS trustees, teachers, and pupils 1904-1938
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Macdonald Consolidated School
- Kings County
14 leaves of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The New Brunswick government passed legislation in 1903 permitting the consolidation of rural schools. The Macdonald Consolidated School (MCS) in Kingston was both the province's first consolidated school and its first public high school in a rural community.
The opening of MCS on August 29th, 1904 marked the beginning of a major transformation in public education for New Brunswick's rural youth. Although it would be over sixty years before one room schools ceased to operate, MCS was the beginning of their end.
The school's state-of-the-art building and its operational costs for the first three years, were financed by Sir William C. Macdonald, a wealthy Montreal based tobacco merchant. The school introduced an enhanced curriculum designed to meet the unique needs of rural youth. All students were taught courses in gardening and nature. Older students were assigned their own garden plot to develop and manage, while younger students shared plots. Domestic science and manual training were also part of the curriculum. The school introduced a new student conveyance system to transport students from outlying districts to school. These innovations, along with the introduction of highly qualified teachers, led to the doubling of student attendance. Of the four MCS schools opened in Canada by the Macdonald Rural School Fund, Kingston's MCS is the only one that retains its public school vocation to this day.
The custodial history of this item is unknown.
Scope and content
A list of the teachers and pupils of Macdonald Consolidated School from 1904 to 1939 including their addresses at the time of compilation.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material