Lewis Peter Fisher
Dénomination générale des documents
- Document textuel
Compléments du titre
Mentions de responsabilité du titre
Notes du titre
- Source du titre propre: Title based on contents.
Niveau de description
CA CC MCC62
Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition
Mention d'échelle (cartographique)
Mention de projection (cartographique)
Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)
Mention d'échelle (architecturale)
Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)
- Fisher, Lewis Peter
80 cm of textual records
Titre propre de la collection
Titres parallèles de la collection
Compléments du titre de la collection
Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection
Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection
Note sur la collection
Nom du producteur
Lewis Peter Fisher was born in Fredericton, New Brunswick, in 1820. He was the son of Peter Fisher and Susanna Williams and the grandson of Lewis Fisher, a Loyalist, who arrived in New Brunswick with L.P. Fisher's father in 1783. Lewis Peter Fisher read law in the office of the Honourable L.A. Wilmot and later his brother Charles. In 1841, Fisher was admitted to the bar and in 1845, he moved to Woodstock where he formed a partnership with R. K. Jones. This partnership continued until 1875 when Fisher joined Allison Barlow Connell. They remained partners until Fisher's death in 1905.
Lewis Peter Fisher was elected as Woodstock's first mayor in 1856, after the town's incorporation, and held this position for 21 years. Fisher was also a superintendent of the Methodist Sunday School for 25 years.
L.P. Fisher married Mary C. de Mille (b. 1826), daughter of Rufus de Mille of Hampton, Kings County in 1850. L.P. Fisher died in 1905 leaving a will that provided for the construction of a high school, library, vocational school, and hospital, to be built in Woodstock only after his wife's death. Mary Fisher died in 1910.
Historique de la conservation
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Portée et contenu
This fonds mainly consists of legal documents and correspondence pertaining to L.P. Fisher's profession as an attorney in Carleton County. There are signed mortgages, deeds, insurance policies, bonds, and leases written and witnessed by Lewis P. Fisher for clients of his law practice. The documents contain the names of the people or companies involved in the contracts, the cost involved in the transaction, and the location of the property. Almost all of these documents were created during Fisher's partnership with Jones, 1845-1875. Fonds also consists of Lewis Fisher's receipts and financial correspondence mostly written or received by the Commercial Bank while Fisher was acting as its agent. Legal documents concerning Fisher's activities as a land owner include materials pertaining to the sale and purchase of property, cost, descriptions, and location information. Estate materials in the fonds consist of correspondence and account information mostly handled by Allison B. Connell, one of the executors of Fisher's estate.
État de conservation
Source immédiate d'acquisition
Langue des documents
Écriture des documents
Localisation des originaux
Disponibilité d'autres formats