Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Lewis Peter Fisher Memorial Library
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Lewis Peter Fisher Memorial Library in Woodstock, New Brunswick, was completed in 1914, two years after the work began. The library was named after its beneficiary, Lewis Peter Fisher, a Woodstock attorney, whose will provided for $20, 000 from his estate to be used in the construction of a free public library. The executors of his estate, Allison B. Connell and F.H.J. Dibblee, hired architect, G. Ernest Fairweather and contractor, J. Fred Ryan, to begin construction on the plot of land located at the corner of Chapel and Main St. in Woodstock. The town council and mayor of Woodstock approved construction and the town council of Woodstock passed a resolution stating that they would provide annual funds to assist the governing body of the library and provide for maintenance costs.
In 1914, a library commission was appointed by Allison B. Connell and F.H.J. Dibblee, with Judge John L. Carleton appointed as chairman. The commission’s first meeting was held 28 May 1914. Frank Baird was named secretary and F.H.J. Dibblee, treasurer. Arthur F. Garden was named treasurer at the second meeting after Dibblee resigned. The library commission dissolved in 1916 after Judge John Carleton submitted his resignation.