Collection MCC75 - Lewis Peter Fisher Memorial Hospital

Title proper

Lewis Peter Fisher Memorial Hospital

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents.

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

CA CC MCC75

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1913 (Creation)
    Creator
    Lewis Peter Fisher Memorial Hospital

Physical description

1 folder of textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(1911-1954)

Administrative history

The L.P. Fisher Memorial Hospital opened in 1911, replacing the Carleton County Hospital in Woodstock, New Brunswick. When the hospital’s benefactor, Lewis Peter Fisher, died in 1905, he left a building, $10, 000 for capital changes, and a $20, 000 trust fund to cover maintenance costs of a hospital. All these bequests were to be made after his wife Mary’s death. When she died in 1910, the directors of the Carleton County Hospital inherited the Fisher family house. The governing board of the L.P. Fisher Memorial Hospital was formed and consisted of four trustees and three other individuals determined by the directors, the warden of Carleton County, and the mayor of Woodstock.

The L.P. Fisher Memorial Hospital allowed free admittance of all deserving poor. Renovations were made to the structure including the wiring and plumbing. The first floor contained the business office, men's and women’s wards, kitchen, operating room, and labor and case rooms. The second floor held eleven beds for patients and the third floor was the matron's and nurses’ quarters. In 1913, the hospital purchased its first x-ray equipment and, in 1915, purchased the first wheelchair. In 1926, the hospital purchased the residence of Mrs. T. I. Duncan to use as a nurses’ home. As the years passed, the hospital became inadequate to meet the needs of the people and standards set by the New Brunswick Hospital Act, the Canadian Hospital Association, and other agencies. The L.P. Fisher Memorial Hospital was torn down in 1954 to allow for the construction of a new hospital in Carleton County.

Custodial history

Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.

Scope and content

Fonds contains correspondence written to Allison B. Connell, co-executor of Lewis Peter Fisher’s estate, from Macalaster, Wiggin Company concerning the purchase of an X-ray machine and problems with the X-ray machine.

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Source unknown.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres