Langmaid family photograph collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title is based on creator of collection
Level of description
CA CCA P656
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Langmaid (family)
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Ken Langmaid was an agrologist, was born at Montreal, Q.C., on September 2, 1915, the only son of William and Clara Langmaid. Ken and his mother would spend every summer at the home of Randolph and Sarah Langmaid, who were William's parents. The family moved to St Andrews, N.B. from Montreal in 1924. Kenneth graduated from Charlotte County Grammar School in 1933, and the University of New Brunswick where he received his B.Sc. in 1938 and M.Sc. in 1950. From 1938-1975 he held various government and university positions within the Canadian Department of Agriculture. He served as director and then president of the New Brunswick Institute of Agrology. He served as a member of the Environmental Advisory Council of New Brunswick and has been a soil consultant to the Department of National Defense, Department of Natural Resources, the R.C.M.P. (Criminal Investigation) and N.B. Power. After his retirement in 1975, he was employed as a consulting Pedologist by J.D. Irving, the federal and provincial governments and other private engineering firms. He was founder and first president of the Conservation Council of New Brunswick. A member of the Environment Committee of the Agricultural Institute of Canada etc.
His wife, Dorothy Langmaid, nee McCurdy, was born in St Andrews in 1917, she was the youngest daughter of John and Jennie (Gibson) McCurdy. Her family moved to California in 1924 and returned to St Andrews in 1929. She graduated from Charlotte County Grammer School in 1935. She and Ken were married in Fredericton, N.B. on October 7, 1939. Five years after their marriage, she contracted tuberculosis of the spine and was ill for 15 years, and never fully recovered. She would spend the winter with Ken in Fredericton and return home to St Andrews for the summer while Ken was busy with field studies. Dorothy had a great interest in animal welfare and had joined the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals when she was in Grade 2. Animals were to play a big role in their lives especially when Ken retired and they moved back to St Andrews permanently. They would never turn away a stray animal, so their house at times was rather full.
They were philanthropists and established two scholarships at UNB: "The Dorothy and Kenneth Langmaid Forest Soils and Tree Growth Scholarship", for post-graduate study at UNB in forestry worth about $10-12,000 a year; and "The Dorothy and Kenneth Langmaid Scholarship Fund", awarded to a student who has graduated from a Charlotte County School and has completed the first year of the BSc programme at UNB with preference given to students who have a major in chemistry or geology.
They also established "The Dorothy and Kenneth Langmaid Animal Welfare Fund" to help the work of the SPCA in Charlotte County, Fredericton and Saint John.
After Ken retired he became a volunteer with many organisations and the town honoured him by naming a piece of land near Indian Point as Langmaid Park.
The custodial history is that the collection stayed with the family until the execution of the will
Scope and content
The photograph collection was donated in 2005, by the Langmaid Estate to the Charlotte County Archives, which was founded in 1975.
good to poor
Immediate source of acquisition
The Estate of Kenneth Langmaid
The collection is arranged into albums, individual photographs and series
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
The early photographs in albums nos. 1, 5, 8 and the first 50 photograraphs in Album No. 2 were taken mainly by Winifred McCurdy, however, the majority of the collection was photographed by Mrs Dorothy Langmaid or other family members.
Location in Archives: 1E3
Accession No. 2006.002