General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: The title is based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Royal Canadian Legion. New Brunswick Command. Ladies Auxiliary Command
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Ladies Auxiliary Command to the New Brunswick Command the Royal Canadian Legion can trace its roots to the 1910s and 1920s which saw the formation of the Royal Canadian Legion and of a number of women's organizations, dedicated to assisting Canadian servicemen who fought overseas during the Great War. The Returned Soldiers Aid of Fredericton was formed in December 1917 to provide for "the welfare of our returned men, inmates of hospitals, of casualty depots, and discharged men returning home." At least 10 sister societies were active throughout New Brunswick, including the Young Women's Patriotic Association of Saint John, the Women's Patriotic Association of St. Stephen, and the Milltown Soldiers' Comfort Association.
Between 1917 and 1925, many veterans' associations were formed in Canada, among them the Great War Veterans Association of Canada (1917). In New Brunswick many women who had been active in patriotic and soldiers' comfort associations formed Ladies Auxiliaries of local branches of the G.W.V.A. In 1925 many Canadian veterans' associations joined under the banner of The Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League, which was organized that year in Winnipeg. Women's Auxiliaries, under the control of branches of the Canadian Legion, soon proliferated. Similarly, Women's Auxiliaries active in New Brunswick united to form the Women's Auxiliary, of the Canadian Legion, New Brunswick Command, British Empire Service League, in 1928. Today a number of branches of the Women's Auxiliary of the Royal Canadian Legion are still functioning.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of the administrative records of the Ladies Auxiliary Command to the New Brunswick Command the Royal Canadian Legion. It contain minutes of meetings (1928-1939, 1951-1970), copies of the constitution and by-laws (1928-1979), and a printed copy of a brief history of the Ladies Auxiliary Command by Vesta R. Morell (1979). The history has been moved to MC80/62.
It also contains the Applications for Membership, 1925-2000, organized by Branch.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material