Kingston Peninsula Telephone Company
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Kingston Peninsula Telephone Company
- Kings County
1 book; 35.5x21.5x3 cm
1 book; 35x21x2 cm
1 photograph; 19.5x24x5 cm
1.4 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Kingston Peninsula Telephone Company was incorporated on April 29, 1913 to meet the demand for telephone service on the Peninsula and was established with 1000 shares with a value of $5 each. The first annual shareholders’ meeting was held on September 10, 1913 and established the directors of the company. The first directors’ meeting was also held on September 10, 1913. The Kingston Peninsula Telephone company would exist for 47 years and held 48 shareholders’ and 144 directors’ meetings. The company was sold to the New Brunswick Telephone Company in 1960 and would surrender its charter in 1961.
The custodial history of most of this fonds is unknown.
Scope and content
This fonds contains items that relate to the Kingston Peninsula Telephone Company and its operations in Kings County.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
The Kingston Peninsula Telephone Company was founded in 1911 by brothers Raymond P. Gorham and Adino R. Gorham. Upon his return from Montreal, Raymond Gorham brought two telephones and with his brother installed them to link the house to the outside barn. This soon led to the installation of a line to the neighbouring MacCleery farm which enabled the households to communicate with each other.
The technology interested other residents on the Peninsula and persuaded them to form a company to provide telephone service to the residents of the Kingston Peninsula. On April 29th, 1913, the company was formally established.