Fonds 163 - John Fawcett (1801-1836)

Title proper

John Fawcett (1801-1836)

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA MtA 163

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1801-1814 (Creation)
    Creator
    Fawcett, John

Physical description

0.5 cm of textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(1765-1837)

Biographical history

John Fawcett (1765-1837) was the son of William and Ann Fawcett, and the grandson of William Fawcett, who emigrated from Hovingham, Yorkshire, England, in 1774. He was also a brother of the William Fawcett, who gave the land on which the Methodist Chapel had been erected, and who was murdered in 1832. John Fawcett married a widow, Eleanor (Foster) Colpitts, by whom he had four children. He lived in Upper Sackville, New Brunswick, next to the present Upper Sackville United Church.

Custodial history

Family members believe that the notebook was borrowed form William Fawcett, grandson of the creator, by a researcher in the 1960's (possibly for the historical sketch "Centennial Remembrances of The United Church, Sackville, New Brunswick," 1967), and deposited in the Museum at that time. This photocopy was made of the original and given to Mount Allison University Archives by Kathryn Fawcett in 1997.

Scope and content

Fonds consist of a photocopy of a notebook containing early entries (1801-1814) for record of payment for subscriptions to the Methodist Church, record of payment to those working on the marsh dykes, and sketches of farm equipment with instructions. The remainder of the notebook contains John Fawcett's notes (original actual letters?) dated August 1835 and August 1836, relating early Sackville Methodist Church history from 1788, and his evaluation and criticisms concerning the Upper and Lower Sackville Methodist Churches.

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script note

The original notebook is located in the New Brunswick Museum Archives Section, Saint John, New Brunswick.

Location of originals

The original notebook is located in the New Brunswick Museum Archives Section, Saint John, New Brunswick.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

The owner of the original must be contacted with any requests which involve copying this item in its entirety.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Inventory available at repository

Associated materials

Family trees for the Fawcett family are located in the archives Local History genealogy files.

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres