General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Photocopied 1979 (Creation)
- Souter, James, Rev.
6 pages of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Rev. James Souter was the first minister to take a full-time office in the new St. James Presbyterian Church in Newcastle, New Brunswick after its reconstruction in 1829. The original was destroyed in the great fire of 1825. In 1830, the congregation of St. James invited Mr. Souter to serve the parish, an invitation he accepted, arriving late that year from Aberdeen, Scotland. After a four-year probationary ministerial period, he was made permanent pastor. He served the St. James congregation for 13 years. In late 1842 he relinquished his post and returned to Scotland.
Scope and content
The fonds contains three letters relating to the Rev. James Souter's appointment to St. James Presbyterian Church in Newcastle, New Brunswick.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.
Additional information relating to St. James Presbyterian Church for the years 1830-1880, including material created by the Rev. Souter, is available on microfilm reel no. F45. The petition of St. James' congregation requesting permission to rebuild their church is located in RS24, S36-P95. The Reverend Souter's correspondence with the Glasgow Colonial Society is in MC991 Glasgow Colonial Society correspondence (F9746-F9748).
The photocopied pages are faded, and one of the three letters has suffered water damage, but the text is legible.