James Quinton family
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
CA MNBM ID441
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- James Quinton (family)
30 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
James Quinton (1821-1874) was a descendant of Hugh Quinton who settled at the mouth of Saint John river in 1762. He became a farmer and building contractor in Saint John. He served two terms in the New Brunswick Legislature, and was one of the first Confederation members. He married Elizabeth Tilley, daughter of William Tilley, of Gagetown, and first cousin of Sir Leonard Tilley.
His son William A. Quinton (1847-1927) acquired his education in Saint John. At 20 he enlisted in the militia, and attained the rank of Major. For six years he was a member of City Council and for five years the Municipal Council. In 1882 he returned as a member of the Provincial Legislature for St. John County (Liberal) , and served seven years. In 1877, he married Kate Allen, daughter of R.R. Allen, of Carleton, Saint John. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Order of Orangemen. In 1891, he was appointed manager and steward of Provincial Insane Asylum.
Biographical Review, Province of New Brunswick, 1900
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of James Quinton's records of his building and construction projects and other family records. It includes estimates, tenders and other construction documents for various banks, churches, houses, bridges, railways, the Court House, the Saint John Custom House, the Provincial Lunatic Asylum, the General Hospital, the Sailor's Home and Lighthouse, the Post Office, and the Opera Hall; 1848-1879 together with James Quinton's correspondence, wage records and business accounts.
There are also assessment notices, deeds, leases and other material of Quinton Family, 1785-1875. Family correspondence includes letters from John Boyd Quinton, San Francisco, to his brothers, John Quinton and James Quinton, 1849-1863, and correspondence belonging to John Quinton, Alfred Quinton, and William A. Quinton.
Immediate source of acquisition
Acquired from James Quinton Hall, 1951,1953,1958
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Microfilm available on interlibrary loan
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Detailed inventory available