J.S. Parker and Sons
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
- Variations in title: Formerly called Parker family account books
Level of description
CA MNBM ID301
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- J.S. Parker and Sons (firm)
40 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Robert Ellis came to New Brunswick about 1800 and established a shipyard in Tynemouth, Saint John, in 1823. John Stewart Parker (b. ca. 1813), an Irish immigrant, apprenticed with Ellis, and when Ellis retired in 1837 and returned to England, John and Richard Lovett took over the yard. They operated under the name of Lovett & Parker until 1854 when the partnership dissolved and each continued on his own. Parker built numerous ships, at least six for Bennett Smith of Nova Scotia and was the favoured builder for Troop & Sons.
John Stewart Parker married Ellis' daughter, Elizabeth (b. ca. 1821) in 1838. There children were: Thomas R. (b. ca. 1839); Robert L. (b. ca. 1841); George S. (b. ca. 1843); Andrew W. (b. ca. 1845); Alexander S. (b. ca. 1847); John R. (b. ca. 1849); Raymond (b. ca. 1851); Bessie; and Alice who married Captain Carson. Five of his sons became master mariners. The sons helped in the ship building business when they were not at sea, and the firm became known as J.S. Parker and Sons.
Sources: Masters of Sail, 1968; Sailing Ships of the Maritimes, 1975; 1851 Census for Saint John County; A Short History of Fairfield, Tynemouth Creek, and Gardener's Creek, 1971
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of the accounting ledgers of J. S. Parker and Sons. The company appears to be operating as a general store as well as a shipbuilding concern. The accounts record sales to customers, supplies (including lumber) purchased for building ships, and payments to workmen. The company appears to have provided board and lodging for some of its workers, as detailed in the accounts.
Immediate source of acquisition
Acquired from J. S. Parker, (Tynemouth Creek), 1955
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access