Fonds ID207 - J.E. Masters

Title proper

J.E. Masters

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA MNBM ID207

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1880-1884 (Creation)
    Creator
    Masters, J.E.

Physical description

10 cm of textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(1848-1909)

Biographical history

J..E. Masters sea captain and businessman, was born at Amherst, Nova Scotia on 26 January 1848, a son of Arthur Wellesley and Hannah Cutten. He had 3 brothers: Arthur W., also a sea captain, died in 1909; Charles H.; and Harry B. and several sisters.

J.E. Masters moved to Saint John, New Brunswick, with his parents at an early age. He received his education at Jarvis Hartt High School in Saint John then went to sea for more than 20 years. As a captain, J.E. Masters sailed the world in command of at least two vessels, "Muskota" and the "Berteaux", both built by C.W. Berteaux's company in New York. He married Annie Taylor, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ezekiel Taylor of Moncton, N.B., on 22 May 1878. After marriage, he settled in Moncton and began a coal business. In 1902, he became associated with Frank Hall as J.E. Masters & Co. Some years later, while continuing his coal business, J.E. Masters formed a partnership with William Snow in an insurance business was incorporated in 1922 as Masters & Wheeler.

At the outbreak of World War I, Captain Masters became chairman of the Westmorland County Victory Loan Committee, 1917-1919 and later, president of Associated Kin of Expeditionary Forces. He was an alderman of Moncton for 3 years and elected mayor of that city in 1917.

J.E. Masters was a prominent Freemason and among other offices he was a Past Master of Keith Lodge, F. and A. M. in Moncton and Past Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge in New Brunswick. Captain J.E. Masters had an avid interest in the history of New Brunswick and was a member of the executive of the New Brunswick Museum in Saint John. Many of the Museum's collections were acquired through his appeals to his friends and the public to donate historical collections to the museum.

As a member of the Board of Directors and secretary of the Petitcodiac Tidal Power Company, Masters was involved in the proposed development of the tidal waters of the Petitcodiac River as a source of electric energy. Captain Masters was an ardent fisherman and had been a member of the Adagwasook Fishing Club and the Albert Fishing Club. He was also active in other organizations. He had been one of the past presidents of the Moncton branch of the Canadian Club, the Moncton Board of Trade and the Maritime Board of Trade. J.E. Masters was a very strong supporter of the Moncton Y.M.C.A., contributed generously toward its upkeep and had been a member of its Board of Directors. Additionally, Captain Masters had been president of the Moncton Amateur Athletic Association.

Source:
Masters family vertical file

Custodial history

Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of seamen's wages account books, printed maps and notes. The seamen's wages account books are for the ship "Muskota", and provide Captain (J.E. Masters) and seamen's names, titles, wages, dates of engagement, and financial transactions. The books also provide tables for calculating seamen's wages. There are three maps which show the routes taken by ships under J.E. Masters command, including the "Berteaux".

Four loose pages from a memorandum book contain notes about the ship "Berteaux" and provide dates of departure and arrival from various ports. On the reverse side of the memorandum pages, there are notes of purchases and a list of worldwide contact addresses for Captain Masters. Most are shipping company addresses, including C.W. Berteaux, the firm that built and owned the "Muskota" and the "Berteaux".

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Unknown

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area