Israel Longworth fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
CA MtA 0002
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Longworth, Israel
79.5 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Israel Longworth, esquire, was born in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, 14 April 1835. He was a student at the Mount Allison Male Academy, from 1850 to 1852. In 1857 he began the study of law with the late Sir Adams G. Archibald and was admitted to practice in 1861. From then on, he successfully practiced law in Truro, Colchester County, Nova Scotia. Mr. Longworth had a interest in local history and was a supporter of the Methodist Church. He died at his home in Truro, Nova Scotia, 19 March 1902.
In 1902, through the efforts of R.C. Archibald, Marion Longworth MacDonald donated her fathers papers to her alma mater, the Mount Allison Ladies' College. Sometime during the next 50 years, the documents were probably arranged by library staff or Dr. Archibald, and pasted into scrapbooks.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of manuscripts and historical documents pertaining to the Archibald and Longworth families, and Colchester County, Nova Scotia, towns religious groups and family genealogies. Also, included are addresses and lectures by Mr. Longworth, Longworth and Archibald legal and business documents, and a collection of newspapers and journals.
Originals are fragile
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
The fonds was microfilmed in 1985 (5 reels). The microfilm is also available at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Researchers must use the microfilm copy
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Inventory available at repository
Internal reference no: Accession 0201