MC250 - Intercolonial Railway fonds

Titre propre

Intercolonial Railway fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description



Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)


Description matérielle

2.4 m of textual records

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Nom du producteur

(Construction completed by 1876)

Histoire administrative

A railway link between the St. Lawrence River and the Maritimes was being discussed as early as the 1840s. In 1865 a route proposed by Sandford Fleming through northern New Brunswick, which bypassed the St. John River valley and the existing Saint John to Shediac line, was adopted. The construction was guaranteed under the British North America Act of 1867 (section 145). Construction was completed by 1876. The line was never a commercial success, but nonetheless continued to grow by incorporating other lines such as the European and North American Railway which ran from Saint John to Shediac. Until 1918 it was administered by the federal government and in 1919 it became part of Canadian National Railways.

Historique de la conservation

Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.

Portée et contenu

This fonds consists almost entirely of traffic department shipping receipts and waybills from the railway station at Saint John, 1881-1901 as well as some routine administrative correspondence. There is also a photocopy of the Intercolonial and Prince Edward Island Railway: Rules, Regulations and Rates of Pay, 1913. A ledger from the Canadian Eastern Railway contains a copy of the waybills for goods sent from various stations between Fredericton and the Miramichi. It records the station, sender, consignee and the nature of the goods, 1902-1904. An Intercolonial Railway log book records the arrival of trains at Marysville station, giving the number of the train, its direction, time of arrival and name of the conductor from 1915-1916. There are also two Sussex station books from 1904-1909.

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Waybills acquired from the Intercolonial station in Saint John by Charles Foss of the Kings Landing Project and donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick in 1973; books purchased from Fraser's Antiques in Prince William, N.B., 1981; Sussex station book donated by Erica Gregg in 1986; Intercolonial and PEI Railway: Rules, Regulations and Rates of Pay donated by David Frank in 1986.


Langue des documents

  • anglais

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

No restrictions

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

An inventory is available.

Éléments associés

Éléments associés


Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions


Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description


Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés