MC250 - Intercolonial Railway fonds

Title proper

Intercolonial Railway fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Reference code


Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)


Physical description

2.4 m of textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(Construction completed by 1876)

Administrative history

A railway link between the St. Lawrence River and the Maritimes was being discussed as early as the 1840s. In 1865 a route proposed by Sandford Fleming through northern New Brunswick, which bypassed the St. John River valley and the existing Saint John to Shediac line, was adopted. The construction was guaranteed under the British North America Act of 1867 (section 145). Construction was completed by 1876. The line was never a commercial success, but nonetheless continued to grow by incorporating other lines such as the European and North American Railway which ran from Saint John to Shediac. Until 1918 it was administered by the federal government and in 1919 it became part of Canadian National Railways.

Custodial history

Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.

Scope and content

This fonds consists almost entirely of traffic department shipping receipts and waybills from the railway station at Saint John, 1881-1901 as well as some routine administrative correspondence. There is also a photocopy of the Intercolonial and Prince Edward Island Railway: Rules, Regulations and Rates of Pay, 1913. A ledger from the Canadian Eastern Railway contains a copy of the waybills for goods sent from various stations between Fredericton and the Miramichi. It records the station, sender, consignee and the nature of the goods, 1902-1904. An Intercolonial Railway log book records the arrival of trains at Marysville station, giving the number of the train, its direction, time of arrival and name of the conductor from 1915-1916. There are also two Sussex station books from 1904-1909.

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Waybills acquired from the Intercolonial station in Saint John by Charles Foss of the Kings Landing Project and donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick in 1973; books purchased from Fraser's Antiques in Prince William, N.B., 1981; Sussex station book donated by Erica Gregg in 1986; Intercolonial and PEI Railway: Rules, Regulations and Rates of Pay donated by David Frank in 1986.


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

An inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres