Showing 54 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions Education
Print preview View:

Florence C. Estabrooks

  • CA PANB MC264
  • Fonds
  • Transcribed and photocopied 1960-1966

This collection consists of two items: a 210-page, bound typescript copy of Florence Estabrooks', "The Genealogy of the Anglo-Dutch Estabrooks Family of New Brunswick," ca. 1960-1962 which includes handwritten additions and attachments; and a photocopy of the "Journal of Elijah Estabrooks, 1758-1760" from the Estabrooks-Palmer collection. The latter document was obtained during the course of her research.

Estabrooks, Florence Cecelia

Grammar School Times

  • CA PANB MC281
  • Fonds
  • 1895

This is a handwritten and illustrated weekly newspaper, produced by the students of the grammar school in St. Andrews. The newspapers cover the dates 25 September 1895 to 16 December 1895, 13 issues altogether, all of which were in Volume 1. The paper featured school and town news, as well as local advertisements.

Grammar School Times (St. Andrews, N.B.)

James Vroom

  • CA PANB MC319
  • Fonds
  • Microfilmed [pre-1980]

This fonds documents James Vroom's activities as an historian with a keen interest in the early history of New Brunswick, particularly that of Charlotte County. It also sheds light on his research activities and those of his friends and acquaintances, most notably W. O. Raymond, who were also interested in the history of the province.

The fonds consists of originals or transcriptions of letters, reports and other documents, dating to the late 18th and early 19th centuries, addressed to or written by prominent Loyalists, public officials and others, including Robert Pagan, Ward Chipman, John Jones, Sir Guy Carleton, Thomas Carleton, Governor Parr, Edward Winslow, Gillian Butler, Charles Morris, John Curry, and Bishop John Medley.

Also included are originals or transcriptions of documents relating to the Quakers that settled in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, the Fire Ward of St. Stephen (1852-1869), the by-laws of the St. Stephen Fire Department, the Passamaquoddy Indians, the Owen family of Campobello Island, the Botanical Club of Canada, the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, imports at the port of St. Andrews, the public officials of Charlotte County, and the garrison at St. Andrews.

The fonds also contains a number of letters addressed to James Vroom, many from friends and acquaintances relating to research into various historical topics. There are also a number of articles, essays, or papers written by Vroom on historical and nature themes, including the history of freemasonry on the St. Croix, the War of 1812, indigenous flora, and the Penobscot Loyalists.

Also included are research notes on a number of subjects -- the Charlotte County Bank, the St. Stephen's Bank and Stagecoach Co., the clergy of the Church of England in Charlotte County, the postmasters of Charlotte County, local customs officials, benevolent societies, the St. Andrews Grammar School, the Charlotte County Agriculture and Immigration Society, the St. Andrews Savings Bank, the St. Andrews Chamber of Commerce, the St. Andrews Sunday School Society, the St. Andrews District Committee of the Society of Promoting Christian Knowledge, the St. Stephen Branch of the New Brunswick Auxiliary Bible Society, the Charlotte County Auxiliary Bible Society, the St. Andrews Ladies Association, other Bible Societies, the St. Andrews Marine Hospital, and the Commission of Buoys and Beacons.

Lastly the fonds includes scrapbooks of newspaper clippings, James Vroom's obituary, articles and publications by W. O. Raymond, and a few items pertaining to the Chipman Memorial Hospital, the St. Croix Tercentenary Committee, the Great War, and Christ Church (St. Stephen).

This fonds comprises 4 volumes of records -- 929, 930, 931, and 932. Only volumes 929, 930, and 931, described above, have been microfilmed.

Vroom, James

Edmund Hillyer Duval family

  • CA PANB MC305
  • Fonds
  • 1848-1909

This fonds consists of personal records of Edmund Hillyer Duval and his children, namely, Marianne Duval, Amelia Duval, and Eliza Lury Duval Burditt and Lury's husband, William F. Burditt. There are also a very few records pertaining to Edmund H. Duval's work as an educator and member of Germain Street Baptist Church.

Edmund Hillyer Duval's records include manuscript copies of letters to various individuals relating to teachers' training (1848-1849); his estate papers; and a certificate of license to preach issued to him from Germain Street Baptist Church. Of particular interest are the materials pertaining to the descendants of Black Loyalists living at Loch Lomond or Willow Grove, near Saint John. These include a draft letter pertaining to the expenditure of funds for "ameliorating the condition" of blacks at Loch Lomond [1868], a memorandum of agreement for the construction of a meeting house at Willow Grove (1878), a brief account of the church's history, and a manuscript copy of a paper read at the opening of Willow Grove Church by Edmund H. Duval (1878).

Lury and William F. Burditt's and Marianne Duval's records each consist of a few pieces of correspondence. Of special interest are Amelia Duval's two dairies containing "scribblings" about her activities and interests. The 1900-[before 1907] volume records information on women's groups in Saint John, particularly the King's Daughters Society that worked with working-class girls and women in the port city.

Lastly, the fonds includes genealogy material on the Duval family, such as biographical notes and newspaper clippings.

Edmund Hillyer Duval family

Fredericton Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb

  • CA PANB MC375
  • Fonds
  • 1886-1901, 1971

This fonds consists of a single bound volume of annual reports of the Fredericton Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb, dating from 1886-1901. Reports are missing for the years 1884, 1889, and 1893. These annual reports give the names of managing committee members, officers, teachers, corresponding directors, subscribers, and parents, and provide information concerning funding and the students' progress. There are also reports prepared by the school superintendent and by the school physician.

A 1971 photograph of the Woodbridge House school building, on Woodbridge Street in Fredericton, is also included.

Fredericton Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb

New Brunswick Teachers' Association

  • CA PANB MC400
  • Fonds
  • 1889-1996, predominant 1919-1978

This fonds consists primarily of the administrative records of the New Brunswick Teachers' Association. It includes minutes of the NBTA Executive Committee meetings (1919-1968), of the NBTA Annual General meetings (1922-1978), and of the NBTA and New Brunswick Teachers' Federation Board of Directors and Executive Committee meetings (1969-1977).There are also copies of reports and briefs (1958-1966); a partial membership list (1919-1920); and copies of several publications, including "Association Activities" (1971), "Nouvelles NBTA/NBTA News" (1969-1971, 1996), "NBTA Newsletter" (1963-1966), "Educational Review" (1889-1970), "Manuel de la NBTA" (1967), and the Association Subject Council publications (1967-1983).

Also included is a copy of Eric D. MacKenzie's 1971 UNB master of education thesis, "The Historical Development of the New Brunswick Teachers' Association" and a copy of A. M. Anderson's 1946 essay, "A History of the New Brunswick Teachers' Association."

New Brunswick Teachers' Association

Rothesay Collegiate School

  • CA PANB MC401
  • Fonds
  • 1891-1981

This fonds consists of administrative and printed records of the Rothesay Collegiate School, now known as RCS Netherwood.

There are five student registers, covering the years 1891-1978, as well as issues of the school's magazine, "Blue and White," for most years between 1906-1981. Also include are photocopies of the Reverend W. R. Hibbard's and William Thompson's correspondence pertaining to the history of the school. The student registers are available on microfilm.

Rothesay Collegiate School (Rothesay, N.B.)

Fredericton Women's Study Club

  • CA UNB MG H 100
  • Collection
  • 1940-1947

This collection documents the activities of the Fredericton Women's Study Club from 1940 to 1947. It consists of 3 scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings, minutes, and correspondence.

Fredericton Women's Study Club

Saint John Medical School Committee

  • CA MNBM ID147
  • Fonds
  • [ca. 1960 - 1970]

This fonds consists of minutes (1965-1966), correspondence (1963, 1965-1966), a brief in support of the establishment of a medical in Saint John as well as briefs, drafts and submissions to the Medical School Survey Committee. There is also a scrapbook, 1965-1967.

Saint John Medical School Committee

Lena M. Chipman

  • CA MtA 109
  • Fonds
  • 1906, 1912

Fonds contains a student notebook belonging to Lena M. Chipman, 1906, and a printed invitation to The Senior Class of the University of Mount Allison College At Home, 1 March 1912.

Chipman, Lena M.

Results 1 to 10 of 54