Showing 3 results

Archival description
St. Andrews Collection
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Ministers Island

  • CA CCA MC 934
  • Collection
  • 1912-1995

This fonds contains material related to the history of Ministers Island. It includes a transcription of an interview with Wade Veinotte, who used to work on the island, as well as reports, feasibility studies, and development plans related to proposals to turn Ministers Island into a Provincial Park or other cultural resource, essays on the history of the island or the Van Horne family, photocopies of historic publications on the Van Horne family property and Sir William Van Horne, and transcriptions of original legal documents and correspondence related to the first European occupants of Ministers Island, John Hanson and his family.

St. Andrews Catholic Church

  • CA CCA MC 874
  • Collection
  • 1977

This collection contains items related to the history of the Catholic Church in St. Andrews, New Brunswick, including a history of the Parish of St. Andrew by Reverend D. S. Gillis. The first Catholic Church in St. Andrews was erected in 1824, on the corner of Parr Street and Mary Street. The trustees for the Church at the time were Thomas Dunn, Peter Doran, Henry O’Neill, and John Lockary. As the congregation increased in size the small 28 by 40 foot original church proved to be too small, so a new church was erected in 1885 on the corner of Parr Street and King Street which remains to this day. The old church was sold to the restaurant “L’Europe” in 1914 and was repurposed as a stage at the back of the restaurant.

Charlotte County Essays

  • CA CCA MC 873
  • Collection
  • 1993

This collection contains a pair of essays whose topics are related to Charlotte County. The first is titled “Cultural Life of Charlotte County: Presentation to Heritage Canada” by Margaret Ray Peterson, which discusses the culture of Charlotte County and how it can still be seen today. The second essay is titled “The National Policy and the Industrialization of the Maritimes, 1880-1910” by T.W. Acheson, which discusses an economic transition which occurred in the Maritimes during the late 1800s.