This collection contains poetry written by a number of authors, including Archer Wilcox, Hiram Wilcox, and Lee Wilcox; stories of shipwrecks; obituaries; and Wilcox family history. Also included are the 1928-1929 Wood Island School register and a 1963 assessment list for Grand Manan. There is also a picture of a page from the Wilcox family Bible.
This collection contains the attendance registers from 1892 - 1986 for schools on Grand Manan and surrounding Islands. Series of registers for the smaller community schools cease as the schools were closed. Not all registers for all schools are here. The registers record student names, attendance, grades, and occasional comments by teachers. There are registers from the following villages: District #1 North Head, beginning 1907; District #2 Castalia, beginning 1919; District #3 Woodward’s Cove, beginning 1923; District #4 Grand Harbour, beginning 1892; District #5 Seal Cove, beginning 1934; District #6 White Head, beginning 1923; District #7 Wood Island, beginning 1929; and District #9 Deep Cove, beginning 1926. There are missing registers so the collection is not complete. District #8 is Chaney's Island we have no registers from this district.
This fonds consists of deeds dated 1866 and correspondence, dated 1876, 1931, 1952, and 1976, about the operation of the Public Hall and its transfer to the village of North Head. The Minute Book contains names of members and positions held from 1909 - 1976 with the final recording being the turning over of the building to the Village of North Head for a Village Hall.
This fonds consists of three scribbler notebooks, containing the notes made by Eunice L. Ingersoll as she attended nursing school in McLean Hospital, Waverly, Massachusetts (USA). One of the books was used at the Surgical Hospital, Brookline, Massachusetts (USA) between 1901-1903. Inside cover notes "E.L. Ingersoll, McLean Hospital, Waverly, Mass.", "Eunice Ingersoll, McLean Hospital Oct 1901 & 1902, Lectures by Dr. Tuttle" and "Eunice L. Ingersoll, Surgical Hospital, Brookline, Mass."
The Friends of Grand Manan Trails evolved from the Grand Manan Trails Club who published a ‘Guide to the Paths, Trails, Roads and points of interest of Grand Manan Island’ in 1949. This was followed by “Walks and Trails in the vicinity of North Head’ by J. Wilson Craig in 1968, and again in 1972. Other contributors to Trail Guides over the years were Gerrish House Society and Grand Manan Tourism Association. In the early 1990’s Don Baldwin and Maude Hunter organized the present “Friends of Grand Manan Trails.” This organization has carefully mapped out trails over the Island with description, degree of difficulty and duration, which have been published in Trail Guides from 1988-2012. These trails are maintained annually by volunteer adoptees. An annual newsletter (1993-2016) records recent activities concerning the trails. Bob Stone serves as Co-ordinator after the resignation of Don Baldwin ca.2004.
Calvin A. Scovil opened the Rose Cottage in North Head in 1896.
"The management of Rose Cottage has been changed as Mrs. Calvin Scovil who has operated it for many years has retired. Mr. & Mrs. Romaine Morse, owners of the Shore Crest Lodge at North Head where patrons get their money’s worth in ample and delicious meals will conduct Rose Cottage Inn as a tourist proposition during the summer months only. The Lodge will be open year round as usual." - Eastport Sentinel Mar.18/1948
This fonds contains correspondence; membership lists; financial records and statements; publications; news clippings; and programmes of activities created in starting and operating the Grand Manan Historical Society.
This collection contains the textual documents of the history of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch #44 Grand Manan and its Ladies Auxiliary - including some minute and financial records for the final years of the Ladies Auxiliary, 1971-2010; and news clippings 1915 - 2019. The Legion received their Charter on July 12 1945. The Ladies Auxiliary received their Charter on January 27, 1969.