General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the collection.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The "Hector" Weir was a fish trap located off the shores of Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick just off the outlet of Big Pond at the anchorage Provincial Park. It was first built before 1897. The elected officers of the Hector Weir Co. that were recorded on 6 March 1897 were : F.M. Gordon, Secretary; Frank Benson, Boss; James Ingersoll; Second boss. A list of owners of shares was not recorded.
It is unknown who or what it was named after. Weirs were expensive to establish and maintain. Most weirs have a number of people with shares in the weir to share the expenses and revenues. The "Hector" was (re)built in 1948. It was then owned by Lore (Pat) Cook, Gerald & Glen McLaughlin, Hazen Daggett & Harvey Bleumortier. Workers who helped maintain the weir were Owen Ingalls Jr., Irving Green, Bill Bagley, Gale McLaughlin, Hazen Daggett, Earle Daggett, Ashton Fleet, Morris Ingersoll, and Harvie Cook.
The Hector weir had two bunts, meaning there were two weirs fastened together with a fence between them. they used to get $15 or $25 per hogshead of herring (hogshead is the measure used for every 1250 pounds of herring). In 1950, the price started out at $30 (per hogshead) then because there were so many herring, the price went down to $5 (per hogshead). The weir fished until 1956.