Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
This collection was assembled by Eleanor E. deWitt Morehouse of Digby, Nova Scotia, as the result of her interest in her great grandmother Mary Harding and her family. Mary Olivia Spurr Harding (1822-1910) was born in Annapolis, Nova Scotia, daughter of Amelia DeWolf (1788-1828 -1856) and William Spurr (1794-1841). She married John Henry Harding (1818-1901), son of Thomas Harding and Mary Johnson, in 1846. Thomas Harding was a businessman and served as mayor of Saint John. Mary and John Harding's children were: James S. Harding; Charles S. Harding, (1851-1938); Frederick J. Harding; Mrs. J.T. McBride; and Henry Havelock ( d.1862).
Mary's husband John moved from Saint John to northern New Brunswick where, in association with Hon. Joseph Cunard and W.G. Weir, he built a lumber mill around 1846. In 1854, he was joined by his young brother Jesse (1821 -1898) in business which included a saw mill, a general store and later a shipyard at The Rocks in Newcastle. Between 1863-1867, the Harding brothers launched five ocean-going vessels, including the ships "Gladstone" and "Northumberland" and the barques "Beatrice" and "Oceanus".
Source: W.D. Hamilton, Dictionary of Miramichi Biography