Hanson Family fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA CCA MC634
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Hanson family (Lepreau)
1.5 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Oscar Hanson (1827-1910) of Little Lepreau, New Brunswick, was a descendant of John Hanson, pre-Loyalist settler on Minister's Island, and also great-grandson of Quaker Loyalist Joshua Knight of Beaver Harbour and Pennfield. Oscar's father, Robert Varden Hanson (1795-1884) first settled at Little Lepreau in 1836, where he built a sawmill, which he later sold to sons Oscar and Gideon.
Oscar was involved in many concurrent careers and activities: landowner; sawmill owner and operator; owner of canning factory; ship's merchant and charterer, shipowner, storekeeper; postmaster of Little Lepreau (until 1898); justice of the peace (as was his father); active organizer for the Liberal Party, member of at least four fraternal organizations; holder of various offices in parish of Lepreau, and Sunday school superintendent (Baptist). He and his brother, Gideon K. Hanson, owned lands leased for New Brunswick Anthracite Coal Company (first shaft sunk in 1876).
Edgar Hanson, Oscar's cousin, was clerk in the Audit Office and then the office of Provincial Secretary . His correspondence with Oscar was often about politics.
Oscar and his wife Helen (Lomax) had seven children who, while not residing at Little Lepreau, maintained summer residence there for many years. Their children were Helen May, Priscilla Knight, Jane Knight , Oscar Jr., Edgar B., Charles Frederick and Ethel (Mrs. R.S. Phillips).
Fonds were donated to the Charlotte County Archives by Gerald Stinson on December 3, 2004
Scope and content
The Hanson family traces their roots to Roger de Rastric of Halifax, Yorkshire, England. A few of his descendants emigrated and settled in New England. John Hanson one of those descendants with his friend Ephraim Young sailed in a Whale Boat, in 1777 and landed on Campobello Island. They then sailed to Chamcook Island (now known as Ministers Island) which at that time was unclaimed. John Hanson obtained a location ticket from the Government of Nova Scotia and during six years of residence cleared up to Thirty acres of land. Their families joined them, and for two years lived under greatest distress having large families and no provisions. The subsisted on shell fish and game.
After the influx of loyalists in 1783, their cleared land looked very inviting to the new settlers. In 1784 New Brunswick broke away from Nova Scotia and the new government refused to honor old Location Tickets. So John and Ephrim petitioned the Government in March 1785 for grant to their land stating they have lived there for six years and had cleared land. However, Captain S. Osborne, a British sea captain who had some influence with the governor, also petitioned for the island and he was given the grant. The Hansons and the Youngs received some payment for the island from Osborne. Then Hanson secured a grant of lot No. 3 of the Farms of the Penobscot Association. His descendants still reside in Bocabec and other areas of Charlotte County.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Charlotte County Archives 1E3 and reference room
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Hanson family (Lepreau) (Subject)