Halifax: Bethany Pastoral Charge
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1928, 1936, 1955-1968, 1975-2000, 2007 (Creation)
- Bethany Pastoral Charge (Halifax, N.S.)
- Nova Scotia
15 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.
Bethany United Church of the Bethany Pastoral Charge began as a mission Sunday School organized by the Halifax Sunday School Association of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church and St. Matthew's Presbyterian Church in 1860. The church building was opened in 1867 on a hill overlooking the Arm Bridge on land donated by John Hostermann, who owned Hostermann's Mill.
In 1868, Bethany was a Mission Charge which included North West Arm and Richmond. In 1870, Goodwood was added to the pastoral charge of North West Arm Presbyterian Church. The church had been built in 1842. From 1871-1875, the Mission Charge was made up of Goodwood, North West Arm and Richmond, and became Goodwood and North West Arm from 1876-1896. Richmond became a separate pastoral charge in 1880.
In 1882, Goodwood and North West Arm were recognized as a regular Mission Station of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. The Church was called the North West Arm Presbyterian Church, until 1897 when the congregation incorporated under the name Bethany Presbyterian Church of North West Arm.
Bethany became an Ordained Mission Charge and from 1896-1913 and was comprised of the congregation of Bethany Presbyterian Church, Goodwood and Rockingham.
Bethany Presbyterian Church joined the Established Presbyterian Church of Canada in 1915 and remained Bethany Presbyterian Church.
In 1925, Bethany Presbyterian Church became part of The United Church of Canada and the name was changed to Bethany United Church. A new church building was erected on Dutch Village Road near the North West Arm in 1928, which served the Congregation until 1958. This building is currently used as a Chapel and a day-care centre. The new church building erected in 1958 is located on Clinton Avenue adjacent to the 1928 church building.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of minutes, reports, orders of service, correspondence, published and unpublished histories, newspaper clippings, plays, newsletters, and one drawing from Bethany United Church. Fonds is composed of the following sous-fonds:
Bethany United Church.
Immediate source of acquisition
The records were received from Halifax: Bethany Pastoral Charge.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
For photographs, see the Nan L. Geizer Collection.
Further accruals are expected.
Graphics: There is one drawing of Ivy Cottage, 24.5 x 18.5 cm, artist unknown.