Grand Manan School Employees Collection
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
- Teachers, non-Teachers, Principals, Custodial Staff, and Bus Drivers
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1893 - 2009 ; 2016 (Creation)
20 cm textual documents
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
When the school board offices closed on Grand Manan in 1996, Gleneta Green Hettrick, then the archivist, acquired many records from the office. Additional donations to this collection were added as construction occurred at the schools and more records were found. All records were created by the school associated group.
Scope and content
This collection contains records for teachers, non-teachers, principles, custodial staff, or bus drivers. Included are original individual teaching agreements from 1893-1955 ; bus driver records of time and expenses and contracts ; retirement events memorabilia and news clippings ; principals notes ; and the New Brunswick Teacher's Association Grand Manan Branch records.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Generated finding aid
See MG220 Grand Manan School Registers Collection ; see MG221 Grand Manan School Yearbooks Collection
History of Education on Grand Manan Island - The first schools on Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, were started shortly after the arrival of the first English-speaking settlers in the eighteenth century, with schools built in each settlement as soon as the settlers were able. The earliest recorded teachers grant was for Magnus Green to teach in the North Head - Castalia area of Grand Manan in 1845. By 1851, five teachers were receiving grants and there were four 'school houses' here. By 1861, there were six schools. Most village school instruction reached a level close to the present Junior high. Until 1943, education was an activity of each village, with some students going to other village schools for later grades when those grades were not offered in their own villages.
New Brunswick’s, and in turn Grand Manan’s, education system became increasingly centralized as the century progressed. In the first half of the 20th century, education was administered and funded by county-level governments. By the late-1940s, mainland communities were establishing regional school districts to give rural students the opportunity to have a full high school education. Parents on Grand Manan asked for similar opportunities, and a high school was established on temporary quarters in the 1943-1944 school year. Grand Manan’s new consolidated high school was opened in Grand Harbour in 1949.
The next wave of changes came in the late-1960s. First, in 1967, a new high school opened behind Grand Harbour’s old high school, and the latter was turned into a junior high. Next, in 1968, as part of the provincial government’s Equal Opportunity program, the Department of Education in Fredericton assumed administrative and financial responsibility for education throughout the province, and Grand Manan, in turn, was made School District 22. 1978 was the last year the community schools on Grand Manan were operating. In 1979, students were transported by bus to the central Grand Harbour location. The junior high school became the only elementary school for students on Grand Manan. The elementary school on outlying White Head Island, however, remains operational in 2019.
The third and latest wave of changes began in the mid-1990s. In 1996, the Department of Education reduced the number of school districts, and, in 1997, it instituted province-wide kindergarten programs. As a result, the district office on Grand Manan was closed in 1996 (Grand Manan became part of District 10, centered in St. Stephen), and the high school was renovated and expanded in 1999 in order to accommodate students from kindergarten to grade twelve as well as a new library and gymnasium. The former junior high—the structure built in 1949—was demolished the same year that the newly expanded school re-opened.
Source: Gleneta Hettrick and Ava Griffin Sturgeon