Grand Manan Light and Power Company
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
CA GMA MG10
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Grand Manan Light and Power Company
- Charlotte County
20 cm of textural records ; one ledger 38 x 32 x 1.5 cm
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Act of Legislation incorporating the Grand Manan Light and Power Company was passed in 1928. By 26 June 1929, the company was organized at Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick. Owners of the company at the time of incorporation were: merchants Fred S. McLaughlin, Lawton C. Guptill, and A. LeRoy Ingalls; Dr. John F. McCulley, M.D.; merchant and fish exporter Joseph E. Gaskill; fish merchant John R. Moses; and others.
The diesel plant at Grand Harbour began operation in December 1929. The plant's capacity, however, proved insufficient. In 1938, electricity on the Island was turned off at 11 pm every night. The inhabitants of Grand Manan petitioned the New Brunswick Power Commission for electric light 24 hours a day. The commission responded by buying out the company. Louise Glennie, formerly secretary treasurer and manager of the company in the 1930s, became secretary to A. A. Dysart, one-time Chairman of the Power Commission and Premier of New Brunswick from 1935-1940.
The plant was expanded and staff increased several times. A second plant was built at Ingalls Head during the 1960s with a much increased capacity for production. Still, demand by industrial, commercial and home consumers strained this plant beyond its capacity. In 1970, a sub-marine cable was laid connecting Grand Manan with mainland supplies of electricity. The diesel plant is still operational and is turned on when there are emergency power outages on the mainland.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This collection consists of technical books, papers, and manuscripts documenting the history of the electrification of Grand Manan. The ledger documents the installation of wires to individual locations and then maintenance at that location. The ledger used was a telegraph ledger but the entries are all for 'Electrical Works'. The ledger was used from Oct. 1929 to 31 Jan. 1930. Also included is an NB Power Museum Kit, acquired in 1990, which contains a history of the electrification of the Province of New Brunswick. There is also an NB Power calendar for 1994.
Immediate source of acquisition
Pearly Green and Gleneta Hettrick gave some of the technical books; Keith Ingersoll donated the 1990 NB Power Museum Kit.
Artificial arrangement by Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid available upon request.
See also: Newspaper clippings re: Power (MG7)