Collection MG217 - Grand Manan Kindergarten 1984- Collection

Title proper

Grand Manan Kindergarten 1984- Collection

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

CA GMA MG217

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1984 - (Creation)

Physical description

1 cm textual documents

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Custodial history

When the school board offices closed on Grand Manan in 1996, Gleneta Green Hettrick, then the archivist, acquired many records from the office. Additional donations to this collection were added as construction occurred at the schools and more records were found. All records were created by the school associated group.

Scope and content

This file contains what history we have of the early kindergarten operating on Grand Manan 1984-86. Kindergarten continued at the Boy and Girls Club until 2001 when the school was renovated and kindergarten became a part of the Grand Manan Community School.

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

MG217 Grand Manan Kindergarten 1984- Collection File _1__
File contents: Kindergarten 1984-1986 before a part of the public school system, news clippings 1984 -86.

Associated materials

See MG800.833 Grand Manan Boys and Girls Club Photos

Related materials

Accruals

General note

History of Education on Grand Manan Island - The first schools on Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, were started shortly after the arrival of the first English-speaking settlers in the eighteenth century, with schools built in each settlement as soon as the settlers were able. The earliest recorded teachers grant was for Magnus Green to teach in the North Head - Castalia area of Grand Manan in 1845. By 1851, five teachers were receiving grants and there were four 'school houses' here. By 1861, there were six schools. Most village school instruction reached a level close to the present Junior high. Until 1943, education was an activity of each village, with some students going to other village schools for later grades when those grades were not offered in their own villages.
New Brunswick’s, and in turn Grand Manan’s, education system became increasingly centralized as the century progressed. In the first half of the 20th century, education was administered and funded by county-level governments. By the late-1940s, mainland communities were establishing regional school districts to give rural students the opportunity to have a full high school education. Parents on Grand Manan asked for similar opportunities, and a high school was established on temporary quarters in the 1943-1944 school year. Grand Manan’s new consolidated high school was opened in Grand Harbour in 1949.
The next wave of changes came in the late-1960s. First, in 1967, a new high school opened behind Grand Harbour’s old high school, and the latter was turned into a junior high. Next, in 1968, as part of the provincial government’s Equal Opportunity program, the Department of Education in Fredericton assumed administrative and financial responsibility for education throughout the province, and Grand Manan, in turn, was made School District 22. 1978 was the last year the community schools on Grand Manan were operating. In 1979, students were transported by bus to the central Grand Harbour location. The junior high school became the only elementary school for students on Grand Manan. The elementary school on outlying White Head Island, however, remains operational in 2019.
The third and latest wave of changes began in the mid-1990s. In 1996, the Department of Education reduced the number of school districts, and, in 1997, it instituted province-wide kindergarten programs. As a result, the district office on Grand Manan was closed in 1996 (Grand Manan became part of District 10, centered in St. Stephen), and the high school was renovated and expanded in 1999 in order to accommodate students from kindergarten to grade twelve as well as a new library and gymnasium. The former junior high—the structure built in 1949—was demolished the same year that the newly expanded school re-opened.
Source: Gleneta Hettrick and Ava Griffin Sturgeon

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres