Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Grand Manan Chamber of Commerce
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Grand Manan Chamber of Commerce on Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, began as the Grand Manan Board of Trade, incorporated in 1927. From all available minutes and financial papers, it appears that the active organization began in May 1944. The first secretary-treasurers were: Walter S. Ogilvie, 1944-1945; J. Wallace McLean, 1946-1947; Kenneth W. Ingersoll, 1947-1948; L. Keith Ingersoll, 1948-1950; Leon G. Small, 1950-1951; and Rolfe W. Cronk, 1951-1952.
The name was changed to the Grand Manan Chamber of Commerce in 1980. The Chamber has been involved in improving ferry service, mail service, and road conditions. They have provided recreational activities through fairs and war celebrations. They have sought advancements for agriculture, education, housing, environment, health care, and lately, aquaculture. In 2002 the Chamber of Commerce is still active and working with the Grand Manan Tourism Association to continue improving life on Grand Manan Island.