General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Boy Scouts (Grand Manan, N.B.)
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Grand Manan Boy Scouts started in 1935. They met once a week in the Grand Harbour Baptist Church, Grand Manan Island, with Meredith McLaughlin, who was the first scout master.
Each scout wore a uniform consisting of a hat, short pants, and long stockings as well as a handkerchief and a patch worn near the shoulder of the shirt sleeve. There were two groups, or “packs,” of scouts on the Island, the Hawk and Wolf packs, each of which had its own pack colours. Thus, one could recognize a scout’s pack affiliation from the colours of his handkerchief and shoulder patch. In addition, each scout carried a six-foot staff, the end of which was marked off in inches and the rest in feet. This was a common tool of early scouts, to be used as a walking stick or to test the depth of water before attempting to cross . A rope could be threaded through a hole in the staff for carrying bundles over the shoulder.
Frederick Ingersoll and Robert French conducted Boy Scouts in the early in 1960s, but it had to be discontinued because of rowdyism.
Newspaper articles show that Boy Scouts continued sporadically on Grand Manan until [ca. 1993].
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material