Grand Harbour Lighthouse
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
CA GMA MG91
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Grand Harbour Lighthouse
2 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Grand Harbour Lighthouse, located at Fish Fluke Point, Ross Island, off Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, was built in 1874. Henry McLaughlin was the first keeper. Henry had been principal keeper at Gannet Rock from 1843 to 1853, a position taken up by his brother, Walter McLaughlin, who would remain there for twenty-six years before serving another eleven years at Southwest Head Lighthouse. The Lighthouse collapsed on November 19, 2013.
From 1914 to 1948 Harry McDowell and his wife, Sadie, kept the Grand Harbour Light. The keepers during the time period when this fonds was accumulated were Howard Napier Ingalls and Percy A. Harvey.
The lighthouse closed in 1963 and was replaced by a light on the Ingalls Head breakwater. It was heavily damaged by the Groundhog Day Gale in 1976. In May 1999 "Lighthouse Digest" declared Grand Harbour to be the most endangered lighthouse in North America. It has not been restored.
Source: Deborah Daggett's web page http://www.geocities.com/grandmanan.geo/rossisland.html
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete. Donated to the Grand Manan Museum and placed in the Archives for storage in 1987.
Scope and content
This collection contains diaries and reports of weather, visitors, the times when the light was lit and turned off, and the length of time operating each day. The records were kept by the Grand Harbour lighthouse keepers from 1949-1960. There are also blank forms of Hand Horn or Fog Bell Returns.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Available upon request.
Records of other lighthouses in the Grand Manan area are also available in the Archives.
Further accruals expected.
Previously held as MG12 Ligthouses / Fog Alarms MS5 Grand Harbour Light.