Grand Harbour Branch, New Brunswick Women's Institute
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
CA GMA MG86
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- New Brunswick Women's Institute, Grand Manan Branch
- These records were photocopied in 1989. But the materials were created between 1913 and 1919.
2 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Women's Institute was founded in 1897 by Adelaide Hoodless of Stoney Creek, Ontario, and by 1913 institutes were active in all the provinces. Mrs. James E. Porter of Andover, New Brunswick, was instrumental in introducing the organization to New Brunswick women. Between 1911 and 1960, hundreds of branches of the Women's Institute were established across the province. Its purpose was to provide educational opportunities for rural women, especially in food preparation and family health. This model was even emulated in other countries, including in the United Kingdom, where the first Women’s Institutes appeared in 1915.
Institutes were also concerned with improvements in living conditions in general, such as the provision of sidewalks, streetlights, park improvement, cemetery improvement, public halls, and public libraries. During the First World War, the Institute’s attention was drawn to international affairs. Its members made garments for members of the armed forces, organized POW relief committees, and sent clothing to the people of war-torn Belgium. But they were still active in their own communities, running knitting clubs, visiting the sick, and participating in similar activities, just as they had done during peace-time. Today the Women's Institutes of New Brunswick are affiliated with the New Brunswick Federation of Agriculture.
The branch at Grand Harbour, Grand Manan Island, existed between 1913 and 1919, and probably continued after that date. The first president was Lizzie Ingalls, and the first secretary was Hazel M. Newton.
It is not known how the original minute book came into the hands of Al Hobbs, who gave the photocopies to the Grand Manan Genealogical Society.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of photocopies of the original minute book of the Grand Harbour Branch, New Brunswick Women's Institute. The group began by discussing recipes and moved on to sidewalks, street lights, park improvements, cemetery improvements, a public hall, and a public library. Park improvements, cemeteries, schools, knitting, and quilting committees were soon organized and members reported on those activities at each meeting. These projects were set aside as the war began and reports on war efforts in support of soldiers began. The group met in the Newton's Store in Grand Harbour. There is a reference in the minutes of 1914 that a branch of the organization was also functioning at Seal Cove.
Immediate source of acquisition
Al Hobbs gave the photocopies in 1989.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
The original is held by Mr. and Mrs. Al Hobbs of Grand Harbour, Grand Manan, New Brunswick.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
See MG53 Gleneta Green Hettrick for more information.