Glass Eye Sewing Society
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Glass Eye Society
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
CA GMA MG22
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Glass Eye Society
5 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
In 1866, a committee known as the Glass Eye Society was formed by the Ladies Sewing Circle Society of North Head, Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick. Its purpose was to purchase land and build a public hall and school for the Island. The members of the first committee were Mrs. Elizabeth Burke, Mrs. William D. Hartt, and Mrs. James A. Pettes. Land was purchased by Ebenezer and Sarah Gaskill for $30 in November 1866 and sold to the Justice of Charlotte County for $50 in 1876. The hall was built in 1876. In 1976, the Glass Eye Society handed the property over to the Village of North Head, which accepted the responsibility for the Town Hall.
The correspondence was previously held by the Grand Manan Museum. Harry Stanley collected the copy of the deeds and other papers from Hallie Cronk for Gleneta Hettrick, former archivist. The Minute Book was held by the Village of North Head and then the Village of Grand Manan and then donated to the Grand Manan Archives.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of deeds dated 1866 and correspondence, dated 1876, 1931, 1952, and 1976, about the operation of the Public Hall and its transfer to the village of North Head. The Minute Book contains names of members and positions held from 1909 - 1976 with the final recording being the turning over of the building to the Village of North Head for a Village Hall.
The minute book is in good condition and appears to have been repaired.
Immediate source of acquisition
All papers were accessioned to the Archives in 1989 and 2017
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Generated finding aid
Grand Manan Museum holds the projector from the Happy Hour Club.