Fonds MCC14 - Carleton County Council

Title proper

Carleton County Council

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CC MCC14

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1871-1921 (Creation)
    Creator
    Carleton County Council

Physical description

20 cm of textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(1852-1961)

Administrative history

Following the passage of the Municipal Corporations Act in 1852, Carleton County, New Brunswick established its first county council. The council included the parishes of Woodstock, Northampton, Brighton, Simonds, Wicklow, Wakefield, and Kent. H. E. Dibblee and William Lindsay were the first councillors of Woodstock. Parish officers were elected annually and included the following positions: overseer of the poor, commissioner of roads, town clerk, poundkeeper, hog reeve, surveyor of dams, sealer of leather, assessor of rates, surveyor of roads, constable, collector of rates, fence viewer, clerk of the market, boom master, inspector of butter, surveyor of grindstones, and field driver.

The council was responsible for local matters including fines, fees, accounts, and salaries of county officers. They were responsible for the prevention of indecency, the control of the running of large cattle, and the use of slaughter houses within town limits. They were also involved in removing nuisances and providing for ""good rule"" and government. They had custody of the common seal for the municipality, and were in charge of the lock up houses. They also oversaw the poor and regulated public exhibitions. The Carleton County Council was dissolved in 1967.

Custodial history

The materials in this fonds were found in the Old Carleton County Court House located in Upper Woodstock, New Brunswick.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of financial documents related to the administration of Carleton County and payments to parish officers. It includes documents from the Department of Public Works and Surveyors which give names, service, and amount charged for the service. There is information about the by-laws and ledgers of summons. The payroll ledgers include names and amount received, and there are also the signed oaths of office taken by parish officers.

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Source unknown

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A finding aid is available for this fonds.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres