Fonds 1998.01 - George Campbell and Sons Ltd. Fonds

"Hanging Up Room" Invoice School Tax Bill J.L. Black & Sons Bill Royal Bank of Canada Document
Results 1 to 10 of 12 Show all

Title proper

George Campbell and Sons Ltd. Fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Campbell Carriage Factory Fonds

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Supplied title based on content of fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA THT 1998.01

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1893 - 1966 (Creation)
    Creator
    George Campbell and Sons Ltd.
    Place
    Sackville

Physical description

3 series containing 23 textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(ca. 1855 - ca. 1950)

Administrative history

Ronald Campbell emigrated from Scotland and was the first Campbell known to Sackville. He married Margaret Keenan in 1829 and began his business in 1855. His son, George Campbell, became a manufacturer of carriages in Middle Sackville, as well as a Funeral Director. The building which was George Campbell and Sons’ carriage building facility was originally built as a tannery in 1838 by John Beal. It was purchased and converted into a carriage factory in 1855 by Ronald Campbell. Up until 1949, when the factory finally closed its doors due to the rising popularity in automobiles, the George Campbell and Sons Company produced horse-drawn vehicles, tools, agricultural equipment, and caskets. Subsequent generations would branch out into both hay dealership and undertaking. After closing its doors, the tools and contents of the factory remained relatively undisturbed until 1998 when William and Barbara Campbell donated the old factory to the Tantramar Heritage Trust.

Custodial history

Items in this accession were found in the Carriage Factory when it was turned over the Tantramar Heritage Trust in 1998.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of five archival items pertaining to George Campbell and Sons Ltd., including two receipts and one tax bill made out to George Rogers, a long-term employee of the George Campbell and Sons Ltd.

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Tantramar Heritage Trust Archives
Accession1998.06, George Campbell and Sons Ltd. fonds
Accession 2000.03, George Campbell and Sons Ltd. fonds
Accession 2005.15, George Campbell and Sons Ltd. fonds

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area