Type of entity
Authorized form of name
George Campbell and Sons Ltd.
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Campbell Carriage Factory
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
ca. 1855 - ca. 1950
Ronald Campbell emigrated from Scotland and was the first Campbell known to Sackville. He married Margaret Keenan in 1829 and began his business in 1855. His son, George Campbell, became a manufacturer of carriages in Middle Sackville, as well as a Funeral Director. The building which was George Campbell and Sons’ carriage building facility was originally built as a tannery in 1838 by John Beal. It was purchased and converted into a carriage factory in 1855 by Ronald Campbell. Up until 1949, when the factory finally closed its doors due to the rising popularity in automobiles, the George Campbell and Sons Company produced horse-drawn vehicles, tools, agricultural equipment, and caskets. Subsequent generations would branch out into both hay dealership and undertaking. After closing its doors, the tools and contents of the factory remained relatively undisturbed until 1998 when William and Barbara Campbell donated the old factory to the Tantramar Heritage Trust.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Rogers, George L. (December 16, 1867 -)
Identifier of the related entity
Category of the relationship
Dates of the relationship
Description of relationship
George Rogers was an employee of George Campbell and Sons Ltd.
Access points area
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Information stated in the above Biographical Note and Administrative History was collected from the Tantramar Heritage Trust website as well as from the compiled “Histories” located in the accession file of 1998.06, George Campbell and Sons Ltd. fonds.