General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Scope and content
This series covers the years 1844-1885, when Freeman Todd died, and is divided into 6 sub-series, and contains of textual records.
Series consists of account books, promissory notes, receipts, Barker & Company, lumber dealers from Fall River, Mass, logging and lumber, and Messrs. Todd, Clewley & Co.
Some of the account books are before his sons joined him in his lumber mills and merchant business. They provide a rich source of information regarding customers, items sold. Todd's shipping interests, personal and business loans and interest rates charged. His logging and lumber mills, his dams and logging places along the St Croix River. The time keeper's ledger provides a picture of mill operations on a daily basis, the names and number of men employed in several capacities, the hours worked and their wages.
The majority of the promissory notes are made out on slips of paper. They vary in amounts from a few dollars to $20,000 and sometimes the amounts paid are written on verso, some have a statement of payments. Often a payment schedule is attached. Not all of the promissory agreements are loans from F. H. Todd & Sons, sometimes it is F. H. Todd & Sons who needed some money. The receipts include items such as two plots in the St Stephen Rural Cemetery, a bad debt that Todd had endorsed and paid, taxes and wages for roadwork. Barker & Co was a lumber business operated by the Barker family in Fall River, Mass. They were in financial difficulties and Freeman Todd lent them $9,000, the Barker Co., gave Todd their Bank Books as security to their mortgage. The logging and lumber subseries contains accounts, invoices and correspondence.
Todd, Clewley Co. came into being when Freeman and Frank Todd went into partnership with William Clewley who operated a general grocery and manufactured lumber business in St Stephen. The business operated for a number of years. The company owned at least one schooner, the Georgie Todd, its loss off Seals Island was reported in the St Croix Courier, 29 December 1870. The partnership was dissolved on 5 march 1873 and the following year he moved to Woburn, Mass.