Fonds MC375 - Fredericton Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb

Title proper

Fredericton Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)


  • 1886-1901, 1971 (Creation)
    Fredericton Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb

Physical description

5 cm textual record and 1 photograph : col. ; 9 x 12.5 cms

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(Opened in 1882, closed ca. 1902)

Administrative history

The Fredericton Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb was opened on 1 September 1882 for the benefit of hearing and visually impaired (blind) persons living in New Brunswick. The institution was located in the residence of Senator Botsford at Hawthorne Hill, near the foot of Forest Hill, in Fredericton. Six students were immediately admitted to the school, and that number soon grew to 18. Eventually approximately 40 students were enrolled per term. Albert F. Woodbridge, a former teacher in the school for the deaf in Halifax, Nova Scotia, was named the Institution's first principal or superintendent. The school was funded by tuition payments, government aid, and voluntary contributions.

In 1883 the Institution was destroyed by fire, but the next year a new structure was built on the old site, which, in turn, fell victim to the flames in 1897. For the next five years, the school was located in Old Government House. A commission, headed by Jeremiah H. Barry, was established in 1902 to investigate the finances and administrative practices of the school. The commission reported that Principal Woodbridge had mixed his own finances with those of the school and that the Institution's debts were nearly double its assets. In addition, students testified before the commission that they had been physically and emotionally abused by teachers and administrators. In December 1902 Principal A. F. Woodbridge resigned his post, and soon after government officials closed the school's doors.

Custodial history

Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of a single bound volume of annual reports of the Fredericton Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb, dating from 1886-1901. Reports are missing for the years 1884, 1889, and 1893. These annual reports give the names of managing committee members, officers, teachers, corresponding directors, subscribers, and parents, and provide information concerning funding and the students' progress. There are also reports prepared by the school superintendent and by the school physician.

A 1971 photograph of the Woodbridge House school building, on Woodbridge Street in Fredericton, is also included.

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The annual reports were transferred by Mary Flagg of the University of New Brunswick Archives and Special Collections Department to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick on 15 July 1980. Pat Forrest, of French Lake, N. B., donated the photograph in November 1996.


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

An inventory is available.

Associated materials

The commission reports pertaining to incorporation and supervision of the institution are located in the Government Records Section (RS30 and RS522). Receipts and wages, 1891-1896 and household expenditures, 1885-1889 will be found in MC3327 G. Forbes Elliot collection. PANB holds records pertaining to the Deaf and Dumb Institute, in Saint John, N.B, in MC2628.

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres