General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the collection
Level of description
CA PANB MC20
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
November 1903-September 1933 (Creation)
- Fredericton (N.B.) Exhibition
7 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
(Began ca. 1825)
The first recorded fall fair in the Fredericton, New Brunswick, area was a cattle show held on the site of the present Christ Church Cathedral (Anglican) in 1825 under the auspices of the Agricultural and Immigration Society. Yearly fairs began after 1827. The fair was soon a social success, drawing members of the community to enjoy its amusements and traditional activities. By the early 1910s, preparations for the week-long fair continued throughout the year. In 1922 the Agricultural Society created the Exhibition Society. Both societies were involved in many other community activities throughout the Depression. By the 1940s a fire had destroyed some of the exhibition buildings. This difficulty combined with wartime concerns to limit the scope of the Fredericton exhibition. By the mid-1960s the event was meeting with renewed success.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
The collection consists of minutes, financial records, and internal memos relating to the Fredericton Exhibition Committee. It also includes the Fredericton Agricultural Society No. 34 board of directors minutes, financial records, prize lists and internal memos; a shareholder's certificate of stock ownership in the Fredericton Horse Racing Association; and a horse-racing scorecard from the Stanley Fair.
Immediate source of acquisition
Ray Crewdson, secretary-manager of the Fredericton Exhibition, transferred three volumes of the Exhibition and Agricultural Society minutes to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick on 20 June 1969. James Clark and Guy Critch donated the stockholder's certificate and the racing card at a later date.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.