Fredericton Baptist Church Board of Trustees
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA PANB MC59
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Baptist Church. Fredericton Baptist Church Board of Trustees
8 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The first Baptist church in Fredericton was organized on 1 January 1814 by William Wilmot, John Marsh, Ebenezer Estabrooks, Theophilus Ring, Jarvis Ring, Olive Ring, Jacob Ring, Alline Hartt, Deborah Hartt, Ann Fraser, Robert Fraser, Hannah Cromwell, and Amasa Coy. They were led by the Rev. Elijah Estabrooks who was also the pastor of the Waterborough Baptist Church.
A meeting house was built along the north side of Regent Street by June 1814 and remained in use until 1840 when a new church was built on the site of the present day Brunswick Street Baptist Church. For the first 30 years the church was often without a regular minister and was served by the Rev. Estabrooks, visiting ministers and elders of the church. Despite this, the church sponsored missions to areas without a Baptist church, especially in the upper St. John River valley.
The Brunswick Street Baptist Church donated these records to the Legislative Library which transferred them to the Provincial Archives in 1974.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of correspondence with members of the first Baptist church in Fredericton, New Brunswick and the extended congregation, reports from ministers on special missions and ministries and financial records.
Immediate source of acquisition
Transferred from Legislative Library in 1974.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.