General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Fredericton Art Club
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Fredericton Art Club was formed in 1936 to promote an appreciation of art in the Fredericton community. The first executive consisted of Mary Coughey Hashey, president; Irene Fitzpatrick, secretary; and Violet Knapp, treasurer. The group had a twofold mandate: to educate themselves and to share that knowledge with their community. Their first project, in 1937, was an art exhibition of the work of Fredericton school children, an exhibition that was so popular that it became an annual event, and eventually led to the hiring of two full-time art teachers for the Fredericton schools. In 1938, the Club became an affiliate member group of the newly formed Maritime Art Association and hosted the MAA annual conventions in 1942, 1951, and 1959.
The Fredericton Art Club's weekly meetings included prepared talks by club members, with occasional special speakers. For many years they organized an annual Art Club Exhibition and Tea as a fundraiser. The Club began meeting in members' homes, however, when the John Thurston Clark Memorial Building was opened, rooms on its third floor were given to the Art Club and membership doubled. After this space became unavailable, the Club met in various city buildings.
By 1950, the practicing painters with the Club had formed themselves into an affiliate group, the Fredericton Society of Artists, although most continued to remain members of the Fredericton Art Club.
When the Beaverbrook Art Gallery was opened, the Fredericton Art Club was offered a seat on its Board. The FAC was one of the Gallery's first sponsoring organizations when the Friends of the Beaverbrook Art Gallery program started. Members of the Club frequently acted as hostesses for Gallery activities, as well as organizers and docents. The Club was especially pleased to have the patronage of Lord Beaverbrook who was appointed Honorary President in 1959.
Source: 25 Years "To Promote Art" by the Fredericton Art Club, 1936-1961.
Scope and content
This fonds consists largely of thank you notes received by the Fredericton Art Club from Lord and Lady Beaverbrook and/or his second wife, the former Lady Dunn, for gifts or greetings sent. Secretaries or other agents of the Beaverbrook family wrote a few letters on behalf of the family. The fonds also includes drafts of some of the letters written by the club to the Beaverbrook family.
Also included are the replies the Club received from Lord Beaverbrook and/or his wife, and from Harriet Irving and Olymbia Kedros respecting invitations to special events. Of particular interest is a handwritten copy of a tribute to Lord Beaverbrook.
Arrangement is chronological.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
See Mary Hashey MG H196 and Maxine Hughson MG H195 for extensive documentation on the Fredericton Art Club.
See also MC3185 Lawrence F. Hashey family fonds located at the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick.