Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Fish family of the greater Newcastle area - the community and surrounds of the Miramichi River, New Brunswick region - long held a respected and affluent position in the business and political arenas. James A. Fish Sr., the original owner of the Fish family's first business concern, a Blackville-Miramichi general store and smithy or blacksmith shop, was originally an American. Born in West Waterville, Maine, in 1812, when James A, Fish was 4-years-old he and his family moved to the Blackville, New Brunswick area, in what was then dubbed the "Forks". He lived within that locality for the rest of his life.
After establishing the mercantile business, James A. Fish expanded his business concerns to a large lumbering mill, as well as maintaining the family farm and lands. On 20 March 1844, he married Elizabeth McAllister, of Blissfield Parish, and they had 10 children. James Fish was a member of the Freemasons for 25 years, and maintained good standing within the Masonic order.
After James A. Fish, Sr.'s death, in 1897, his two sons, James O. Fish, Jr. and C. C. Fish, took over the family businesses. They continued the general store until the mid-1930s, when the records in possession of the Archives end. What was originally the Fish family store has, in recent years, been replaced with new stores and a new building. During the course of their various enterprises, the Fish family sons served at both the municipal and provincial levels of government, and maintained strong business and social ties to their home.