Devon Fire Department
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: The title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
CA PANB MC392
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Devon Fire Department (St. Marys, N.B.)
2 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
(Organized in 1908)
The Devon Fire Department was originally organized as St. Marys Water and Fire Department at a meeting held 1 April 1908. The volunteer fire company was to consist of 12 men, one captain, and one second captain, all to be elected at the annual meeting of ratepayers. It was to serve the community of St. Marys, located on the north side of the St. John River opposite Fredericton, New Brunswick. A. Wilfred Coombs was named the department's first captain and Walter Crouse, second captain. The town of Devon was incorporated in 1917 and included the former communities of St. Marys, Gibson, Nashwaak Station, North Devon, and South Devon. In November 1918 the St. Marys fire company, along with several others located in the amalgamated communities, became part of the Devon Fire Department, which was still functioning in 1933.
Information about the custody of this record prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of a single item -- a minute book containing minutes of meetings of the St. Marys Water and Fire Department and of its successor, the Devon Fire Department. The bye-laws of St. Marys Water and Fire Department are included with the minutes.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick by Mrs. Pat Oldham of Fredericton, N.B. on 16 February 1981. The fonds arrived at PANB by way of George Bidlake of the South Devon School.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.