Devon Fire Department (St. Marys, N.B.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Devon Fire Department (St. Marys, N.B.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

Organized in 1908

History

The Devon Fire Department was originally organized as St. Marys Water and Fire Department at a meeting held 1 April 1908. The volunteer fire company was to consist of 12 men, one captain, and one second captain, all to be elected at the annual meeting of ratepayers. It was to serve the community of St. Marys, located on the north side of the St. John River opposite Fredericton, New Brunswick. A. Wilfred Coombs was named the department's first captain and Walter Crouse, second captain. The town of Devon was incorporated in 1917 and included the former communities of St. Marys, Gibson, Nashwaak Station, North Devon, and South Devon. In November 1918 the St. Marys fire company, along with several others located in the amalgamated communities, became part of the Devon Fire Department, which was still functioning in 1933.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC