General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
CA MNBM ID792
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Davidson (family)
2.7 m of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
William Davidson (1740-1790) was born in Scotland and was the first English-speaking settler on the Miramichi River of New Brunswick. He obtained a large grant at the mouth of the river in 1765 and introduced the curing of salmon for export. He was a lumber businessman and politician.
His grandson, Allan Alexander Davidson (1818-1889), became a lawyer and practised with John Ambrose Street. Allan Alexander's grandson, Allan Alexander Davidson, Jr. (1857-1934), joined the same law firm and was followed by his nephew, William Harold Davidson.
William Harold Davidson (1896-1958), barrister-at-law, Newcastle, N.B., was the son of James Warren Davidson and Marie Louise Hunt, daughter of George C. Hunt, of Fredericton. He married Daisy May Stephenson of Saint John. They had two children, William Edward and Marjorie Evelyn.
William Davidson attended Harkins Academy and Harkins High School at Newcastle. He then went to the Provincial Normal School where he secured his Superior School license. Davidson taught at Centerville, County of Carleton, and Newcastle.
He enlisted as a private with the 26th Canadian Infantry Battalion on November 27th, 1914, and served with the unit in Canada, England, France, Belgium and Germany. He was gazetted lieutenant in 1917 and demobilized with his unit in 1919.
After the war, he entered King's College Law School at Saint John and was admitted as a barrister in 1923. He also clerk of the Northumberland Court from 1929.
Davidson was an active Conservative and was secretary of the Liberal-Conservative Association from 1924 to 1930. He was a member of the Church of England.
Source: Prominent People of New Brunswick, 1937
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of material from the practice of three generations of Newcastle (Northumberland County) lawyers, chiefly Allan A. Davidson, Jr. The legal documents reflect solicitor's work rather than civil litigation or criminal presentation. It includes material about expropriation by the Intercolonial Railway / Canadian National Railway and the forestry activities of Fraser Company. There are family documents, financial records and land records from 1795 to 1950. An account book belonging to Henry Gerrish, 1837-1840, is included as are the letterbooks of John Ambrose Street, Street & Kerr and Street & Davidson. There is also a journal of John Ambrose Street's voyage to England, 1817-1819.
Immediate source of acquisition
Acquired from Harold W. Davidson, 1948-1960
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Detailed inventory available