Fonds ID4872 - Cushing family

Title proper

Cushing family

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Attributions and conjectures: Title based on contents.

Level of description


Reference code


Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)


  • 1820-1873 (Creation)
    Cushing (family)

Physical description

40 cm of textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(Branch begins 1802)

Biographical history

Theophilus Cushing (1802-1882) was a member of the Legislature of Maine and a strong advocate of the temperance and anti-slavery movements. He married Lucinda Lapham (d. 4 August 1884). Their children were: Theophilus, Lucinda, George Byron, Brenda, William C. (d. 11 Jan. 1940) and Charles. With his brother, Andre, Theophilus founded a lumber business called Andre Cushing & Co. in 1851 or 1852 They built a mill in Saint John, New Brunswick, at Union Point and exported lumber, white pine, and spruce to Maine. They were also ship brokers and commission merchants. Products included laths, pickets, cedar shingles, staves, boxes and shooks.

George Byron Cushing (1831- 888), Theophilus' son, moved to Saint John, in 1853 and became a member of the Andre Cushing & Co. in 1857. When the business was destroyed by fire 10 April 1875, George Cushing had a new, modern mill rebuilt immediately. Andre Cushing & Co. employed about 225 men. Lumber from the Cushing Company was shipped to the United States, West Indies, South America, and the Canary Islands. George Cushing also founded the Cushing Sulphite Fibre Company using waste from the lumber mill to produce paper and other products. That operation employed about 250 men.

George Byron was succeeded his son George Scammel Cushing in 1888. George S. Cushing retained his American citizenship. He married Christine Jane Dunlop of Saint John in February 1892 and they had one daughter, Eileen Christine.

Eileen Christine Cushing (1893-1991) completed her education in public and private schools and attended a special course at Columbia University in New York. She was active as a volunteer in city hospitals and the YMCA Hospitality Centre for servicemen during the First World War and in the diet kitchen during the 1918 flu epidemic. Eileen Cushing was involved in many local organizations: the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire (I.O.D.E.), Red Cross, Riverside Golf Club, Union Club, the Women's Press Club, of which she was president and the Canadian Club where she was historian. Ms. Cushing was a member of the St. Andrews and St. David's Church, belonged to a number of church groups, was a life member of the United Church Women and was on the editorial committee of St. Andrew's Church.

Eileen Cushing was a journalist for the "Telegraph Journal" and the "Evening-Times Globe", Saint John's two daily newspapers. She was in charge of the library there, wrote book reviews and contributed articles for publication in the papers.

Ms. Cushing was also employed at the New Brunswick Museum from 1951 to 1962 when she retired, as an assistant in the in the archives section of Canadian History Department. She also contributed articles to the New Brunswick Historical Society publication and other magazines and journals. Eileen Cushing also took part in broadcasts on Saint John and other subjects while at the Museum. After Ms. Cushing's retirement, she did genealogical and historical research for patrons from out-of-town.

Custodial history

Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.

Scope and content

Fonds consists primarily of Eileen Cushing's papers with other family records. It includes her correspondence and accounts as well as her speeches, notes and other writings. There are family property deeds and some records and business correspondence of the Sulphite Fibre Company.

Cushing family genealogical information includes newspaper obituaries and press clippings, invitations, records of funerals and marriages, Sunday school tracts, pew rentals and records of church membership. Eileen Cushing's papers on Loyalists and early settlers and George S. Cushing's diaries, 1873-1904, are also included.

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Source unknown


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres