Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Theophilus Cushing (1802-1882) was a member of the Legislature of Maine and a strong advocate of the temperance and anti-slavery movements. He married Lucinda Lapham (d. 4 August 1884). Their children were: Theophilus, Lucinda, George Byron, Brenda, William C. (d. 11 Jan. 1940) and Charles. With his brother, Andre, Theophilus founded a lumber business called Andre Cushing & Co. in 1851 or 1852 They built a mill in Saint John, New Brunswick, at Union Point and exported lumber, white pine, and spruce to Maine. They were also ship brokers and commission merchants. Products included laths, pickets, cedar shingles, staves, boxes and shooks.
George Byron Cushing (1831- 888), Theophilus' son, moved to Saint John, in 1853 and became a member of the Andre Cushing & Co. in 1857. When the business was destroyed by fire 10 April 1875, George Cushing had a new, modern mill rebuilt immediately. Andre Cushing & Co. employed about 225 men. Lumber from the Cushing Company was shipped to the United States, West Indies, South America, and the Canary Islands. George Cushing also founded the Cushing Sulphite Fibre Company using waste from the lumber mill to produce paper and other products. That operation employed about 250 men.
George Byron was succeeded his son George Scammel Cushing in 1888. George S. Cushing retained his American citizenship. He married Christine Jane Dunlop of Saint John in February 1892 and they had one daughter, Eileen Christine.
Eileen Christine Cushing (1893-1991) completed her education in public and private schools and attended a special course at Columbia University in New York. She was active as a volunteer in city hospitals and the YMCA Hospitality Centre for servicemen during the First World War and in the diet kitchen during the 1918 flu epidemic. Eileen Cushing was involved in many local organizations: the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire (I.O.D.E.), Red Cross, Riverside Golf Club, Union Club, the Women's Press Club, of which she was president and the Canadian Club where she was historian. Ms. Cushing was a member of the St. Andrews and St. David's Church, belonged to a number of church groups, was a life member of the United Church Women and was on the editorial committee of St. Andrew's Church.
Eileen Cushing was a journalist for the "Telegraph Journal" and the "Evening-Times Globe", Saint John's two daily newspapers. She was in charge of the library there, wrote book reviews and contributed articles for publication in the papers.
Ms. Cushing was also employed at the New Brunswick Museum from 1951 to 1962 when she retired, as an assistant in the in the archives section of Canadian History Department. She also contributed articles to the New Brunswick Historical Society publication and other magazines and journals. Eileen Cushing also took part in broadcasts on Saint John and other subjects while at the Museum. After Ms. Cushing's retirement, she did genealogical and historical research for patrons from out-of-town.