Cumberland Pastoral Charge
Dénomination générale des documents
- Document textuel
- Document iconographique
Compléments du titre
Mentions de responsabilité du titre
Notes du titre
- Source du titre propre: Title based on contents of fonds.
Niveau de description
Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition
Mention d'échelle (cartographique)
Mention de projection (cartographique)
Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)
Mention d'échelle (architecturale)
Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)
- Cumberland Pastoral Charge
1 m of textual records
Titre propre de la collection
Titres parallèles de la collection
Compléments du titre de la collection
Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection
Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection
Note sur la collection
Nom du producteur
A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.
Cumberland Pastoral Charge is located in Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. Preaching points are at Joggins and River Hebert (Trinity). Other historical locations within the bounds of the pastoral charge included Minudie, Strathcona, and Shulee.
The first Methodists in the area came from Minudie where a Rev. Pike introduced the community to Methodism. It eventually spread to River Hebert where a church was built in 1882. River Hebert was originally part of the Nappan Methodist Circuit but became the head of a circuit in 1886, including the preaching points of Shulee, Sand River, Head of River Hebert, and Joggins. A manse was built in 1900. In 1925, River Hebert Methodist Church united with St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church to become Trinity United Church.
Presbyterianism was introduced to the River Hebert area initially by Reformed Presbyterian (Covenanter) missionaries – notably Rev. Alexander Clarke, who held services in River Hebert and Minudie. A Covenanter church was built in River Hebert in the late 1840s. Later, Scots Presbyterianism was brought to the region by Scottish settlers from Pictou County who settled in Minudie. Services were held in River Hebert on a sporadic basis until 1858 when meetings were inaugurated on a more regular basis. The original Covenanter movement did not prevail. The church building erected in 1889 in River Hebert and dedicated on September 22, 1889 may have combined both Scots and Irish streams. This church became known as St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church. This pastoral charge also included the preaching points of Maccan, Minudie, and Joggins.
In 1925, all Methodist and Congregational Churches and a majority of Presbyterian Churches were amalgamated to form the United Church of Canada. At this time, Joggins Pastoral Charge included the preaching points of Joggins and Shulee. River Hebert Pastoral Charge consisted of the preaching points of River Hebert (Trinity United), Strathcona, and Minudie. By 1941, Strathcona was no longer listed as a preaching point and River Hebert Pastoral Charge and Joggins Pastoral Charge had amalgamated to form River Hebert-Joggins Pastoral Charge.
Cumberland Pastoral Charge was created in January 1995 with the amalgamation of Immanuel-Brookdale-Leicester Pastoral Charge and River Hebert-Joggins Pastoral Charge. The preaching points in this new pastoral charge were: Joggins, River Hebert, Immanuel (Amherst), Brookdale, Minudie, and Joggins. Minudie was dropped as a preaching point in 1995. In 2009, Brookdale was removed from Cumberland Pastoral Charge and became part of McCully Pastoral Charge and Immanuel (Amherst) became part of Northumberland Pastoral Charge.
Historique de la conservation
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Portée et contenu
Fonds consists of baptism/marriage/burial records, membership rolls, minutes, published and unpublished histories, one photograph, correspondence, reports, financial records, a diary, and property deeds from Cumberland Pastoral Charge and its Methodist and Presbyterian predecessors. Fonds is composed of the following sous-fonds:
Cumberland Pastoral Charge records
River Hebert-Joggins Pastoral Charge records
River Hebert Methodist Circuit records
River Hebert-Joggins-Minudie Presbyterian Pastoral Charge records
Trinity United Church (River Hebert) records
Joggins United Church records
État de conservation
Source immédiate d'acquisition
Records were received from the pastoral charge in 2003 (accession 03-068), 2008 (accession 08-059), 2009 (accessions 09-053, 09-064, and 09-065), and 2010 (accession 10-009).
Langue des documents
Écriture des documents
Localisation des originaux
Disponibilité d'autres formats
Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication
Instruments de recherche
See McCully Pastoral Charge for Brookdale records. See Northumberland Pastoral Charge for Immanuel (Amherst) records and East and West Leciester records.
Further accruals are expected.
Graphics: There is one black and white photograph of the exterior of Trinity United Church which was photocopied from a newspaper clipping.